August 11, 2014 2 min to read
Kerala The City of Universities
Category : Kerala, Uncategorized, Universities
While it is likely to be common knowledge for most people who have been born and raised in India, most people in the rest of the civilized world, especially in the west, are less likely to be aware of the exceptional scholastic institutions within the state of Kerala. There are a slew of different universities with various disciplinary focuses that a student has the option to choose from. Something that is less likely to be commonly known, perhaps even among the Indian population that resides in Kerala, is that the state of Kerala has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. In fact, it boasts the lowest homicide rate per capita in all of India. The literacy rate is also above 95% and has the highest life expectancy rate while the positive population growth rate is the lowest in the country which is certainly a positive thing for a nation as densely populated as India. The fact that Kerala itself is such a beautiful city certainly doesn’t hurt either.
Judging from this excellent photo of the Sri Padmanabha Swamy Temple in Trivandrum, Kerala (thanks to Bijoy Mohanone of flickr.com for this photo) one can easily see the particular beauty in this little corner of India. The uniquely Indian design of the architecture juxtaposed by the water front setting akin to something more Mediterranean with this exact lighting is certainly a sight to behold.
Kerala has been recognized for having some of the finest universities in all of India if not the world.
- Central University of Kerala in Kasaragod with a focus on Fine Arts and Literature.
- Aligarh Muslim University Malappuram Campus in Malappuram with a focus on Fine Arts and Literature.
- English and Foreign Languages University in Malappuram with focuses on Arabic, English, French, Spanish, German, among others.
- Cochin University of Science and Technology in Ernakulam with Multidisciplinary focuses.
- Kannur University in Kannur with Multidisciplinary focuses.
- Kerala Agricultural University in Thrissur with focuses in Agriculture and Engineering.
- Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies in Kochi with a focus on Fisheries.
- Kerala University of Health Sciences in Thrissur with a focus on Health.
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University in Wayanad with a focus on Animal Sciences.
- Mahatma Gandhi University in Kottayam with Multidisciplinary focuses.
- Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit in Kalady with focuses on Sanskrit and Vedic Studies.
- University of Calicut in Malappuram with Multidisciplinary focuses.
- University of Kerala in Trivandrum with Multidisciplinary focuses.
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies in Kochi with a focus on Legal
- Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University in Malappuram with a focus on Malayalam and Literature.
Now, dear reader, I leave you with a beautiful example of Indian architecture (credit for the photo goes to US Consulate Chennai of flickr.com). Below, you can see this picture of one of the beautiful buildings that adorn the campus of Kerala University.